Re: ? A "new" registered copy of Access 97

Subject: Re: ? A "new" registered copy of Access 97
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:54:36 -0600

In our previous episode at 09:10 AM 1/31/02, nancy wrote:

Help!

My very old "Academic Edition" Microsoft Office 97 CD is scratched and I
still need that version of Access for a few projects! My computer software
had to be reloaded after a repair and when I noticed the scratch, I thought
I'd have to purchase an entire new package. To my relief, everything else
functions fine. Unfortunately, Access displays as a "Read Only" when I try
to pull it up. I believe that piece is within the damaged area.

Does anyone know where I could purchase just the "old" Access software?

Try contacting Microsoft. Several years ago, I needed a copy of Word 95, and only had Word 97. I called them and discovered I could get a "downgrade" for $15. If your copy is a registered (not OEM) copy, I suspect you might be able to get a replacement for the cost of postage.

Or if you want to be a bit Machievellian and you haven't done this already, you could ask for a copy of SR-2 (not the patch, the full distribution), which will both contain the full distribution of Office 97 _and_ patch a number of serious bugs.

As of a few years ago, the phone number for disk orders was 800/360-7561, and the general Microsoft number was 425/882-8080.

Good luck.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"I make mistakes, but I am on the side of Good, ... by accident and happenstance."

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr