RE: Got Process?

Subject: RE: Got Process?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:52:23 -0500

Martin Smith wrote:
<snip>Rather than
seminar after seminar about tools and methodologies, I would rather have the
choice of attending an object-oriented programming track, a network security
track, a relational database track, a telecommunications track...
</snip>

An excellent idea, and if you want to attend a conference that focuses on
these specific TECHNOLOGIES, check out the appropriate groups within IEEE
and ACM. Because these organizations are more software/computer industry
focused than STC, you're more likely to find info specific to those
technologies at their conferences. I have attended (and presented) at some,
and I found them very worthwhile and quite technical. You might appreciate
the depth there.

STC, OTOH, does not focus on software. Rather, it focuses on the tech
communication angle, and as we all know, there's more to TW than software.
<Admitted bias - I'm an STC Associate Fellow.>

I would have to contradict those who equate STC with process and procedures,
though. IME, some STC members are process-oriented and some are not. And
some like chocolate ice cream. Individual variants exist, especially when
you're dealing with people who work in a lot of different industries and
environments.

PLEASE don't anybody start a pro/anti-STC thread again! Go with what works
for YOU.

I work for a huge company, and I'm involved with projects that span several
organizations and a few countries. IMHO, formalized process is a necessary
evil in this environment. Left to my own devices, I would solve problems
more flexibly than the process allows. But that's the game, and it's
different in other places. So I adapt, as necessary. No big deal.

Marguerite