RE: Got Process?

Subject: RE: Got Process?
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:27:13 +1100

I do believe I said "an example" Andrew, so I won't rise to your flame bait.
One of my constant niggles with my gfx designer is come proof time we are
far too busy (but make deadline don't you fear) to write down the steps
involved, leading to last minute fluffs and me staying back for many hours
to rectify as I am the only one who can, being the lone tech writer...

However, in the quiet times, instead of picking up a newspaper, I not only
develop I cement our processes into automated sequences (templates) that
then do hours of work in seconds. My team leader is watching over my
shoulder as he sees stuff that took us days to do in the early days (pre
work-investment in internal dev time) occuring in minutes during the final
phases. So we survive as a minimal production team under last-minute
direction (the cliche hey).

I am extremely organised and he needs not worry about process management
because its so simple and effective. So our lack of documentation is not a
real issue. I am not even going to go near my writing ability, lets just say
I produce highly effective documentation in a damn sight less time than a
lot of other folks I have worked with. When its prod time, its prod time,
and you lot don't hear so much from me.

Matter of fact, these posts are cutting close to my heart at the moment
because I am buried in process. I've changed my entire concept of my
architecture <winces at misplaced word> and I want everything to be easily
maintained and expandable. So its a huge amount of work at the moment, but
already the added flexbility is proving to be a bonus.

Due to the nature of my dev machine, I do my doco at home, and the templates
at work. If you are familiar with Sun Tsu's Art of War, I am on my grounds
of contention and must cross or flounder.

> Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

> My posts encourage writers to focus on their core function: writing.

We will have to agree to disagree. I know I could goto the archives and get
the quotes I need, but its a waste of time. I have an MVP award waiting
elsewhere to claim.

> And nobody cares to watch you fondle your tool.
We want to see what you can do with those tools. Tool.

A) Thats funny, several hundred people now fondle my tool daily after
requesting it.

B) I called you silly as you were raising silly red herrings. A number of
offlist emails agreed with me on this point. I am not acting like a tool, so
I am not particularly impressed with your turn of phrase.

TGIF and I don't have to work with you. Back to my 16 hour day.

Steve Hudson, Word Heretic
HDK List MVP
Word help and tools: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com