Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: "Steve Arrants" <stephena -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 17:35:52 -0800

"Paula Puffer" <papuffer -at- psquareddoc -dot- com> writes and asks:
> What would you expect to see in terms
> of stability in the job history?
> I've been asked to review some resumes. In one instance, the resume sent
up
> several red flags. The candidate had several good positions but there are
> gaps in the job history, no contract or permanent positions lasting longer
> than 6 months, the candidate has moved around a lot (3 different
geographic
> regions in one year).

In today's market, I don't see them as red flags. Myself, I've had a mix of
contract and full-time employment over
the past ten years due to mergers, moving for family reasons,
dot-com-dot-bombs, and other legitimate reasons.
Certainly, the candidate's history is something to examine, and perhaps
probe via references (though these days, it is
difficult to get much more than a confirmation of the dates of employment,
title, and bits like that).

I'd applied for a Pubs manager position in Austin TX, and the interviewers
all brought up my short contracts as liabilities.
Short contracts are/were the norm in the SF Bay area in the late 90s and
now. I was offered the position, but declined.
Good thing I did. The company went belly up eight months afterwards as
another dotcom casualty.

steve arrants

steve arrants
http://www.compbear.com Certified Cruelty Free
"The dream was marvelous, but the terror was great.
We must treasure the dream, whatever the terror."
---Gilgamesh