Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:02:02 -0800

Kelley wrote:

This, of course, might be exactly why she shouldn't consider him. If you're looking for a full-timer, then someone used to the life of a contractor who chose to do it because they can take sabbaticals is probably ill-suited, right now, to captive employment, regardless of how good they are at what they do.

Excuse me for taking this personally, because I am. :-) I'm a contractor, after all.

But why do you automatically assume that a person who is a successful contractor is unsuited for full-time work? Given the high turnover rate in high-tech (even now), there is very little difference between contractors and full-timers. In fact, I've had contracts that lasted longer than many people's full-time positions. And how do you know that the person isn't trying to make a switch to full-time work for one reason or the other?

In my book, a person who has managed to arrange their working life the way they want it is a highly intelligent and well-organized person. I consider these traits highly desirable in a potential employee.

As an aside, quite frankly, I think they should stick with contracting and let the people who like captive employment get the full-time positions. After all, contracting was a choice and the contractor made more money last year because they were expected to use that money to pad them for bad times, whereas the full-timer didn't.

Oh, come on now. By the same logic, full-timers should never take contracts. And shouldn't full-timers be putting aside some money for the bad times, too?

Anyway, all of this is speculation. My basic point is simple: you can just as easily make assumptions that makes the type of record mentioned highly desirable as you can ones that make it a drawback.

Without additional information, one is as likely as another.

"More truth is what I need
Never mind if it makes me bleed."
- OysterBand, "On the Edge"

Hiring Publications Managers: From: Paula Puffer
Re: Hiring Publications Managers: From: Kelley