RE: job interview with tests

Subject: RE: job interview with tests
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:14:27 -0800

I had a number of interviews in during January (after dead silence in Nov & Dec). Only two gave me a formal test, although one did ask me a few questions (such as what is an em-dash) in the phone interview. The first company gave me an editing and writing test; the second gave me a standardized logic test, which they told me repeatedly was simply a formality they give to all interviewees.

Although I knew up front that I was to be tested, I didn't know what type of test it would be, and I did not prepare in any way.

Two points:

1) For the writing test I had to hand write a set of instructions in a short amount of time. If you're like me and your handwriting is atrocious, you might want to offer an alternate suggestion--maybe take a laptop and spare floppy!

2) Sometimes the type of test given offers a clue as to what the hirer is most anxious about. Are they most concerned about personality issues (I had one company, hiring for a very technical position, that spent four hours asking me how I work with people), or do they want to make sure you can really copyedit? A well prepared copyedit test can reveal more than you knowledge of symbols--do you rewrite someone else's prose just for the hell of it, are you consistent, etc.

your book. What are you waiting for?

See and check it out.