salary appraisals (was RE: Hiring Publications Managers)

Subject: salary appraisals (was RE: Hiring Publications Managers)
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:00:49 -0000

Kelley wrote:
> People who chose to forego the benefits of contracting should
> be rewarded with the jobs I have to offer: full-time positions
> with an employer who will reward that commitment because
> they've demonstrated that commitment in the past. People who
> chose to contract shouldn't be rewarded because they haven't
> demonstrated that commitment.

and CHRISTINE ANAMEIER responded:

Elma Tymes also wrote:
>2. "Greener pastures" is a relative thing. In my years as a captive
>employee, I learned that raises *rarely* kept my salary on a par with
>the market. In fact, the longer I stayed at a company (regardless of
>other bene's like promotions, great projects, etc.) the more disparity
>there was between my salary and market salaries. As a single mom living
>in the most expensive part of the country, I simply couldn't afford that.

John Posada wrote: (see last week's "Re: Salary review help")
>In today's environment...being a good worker, working hard and being
dedicated is not a basis >for a good raise...it is the basis for allowing
them to continue to work for the company in a >like manner. As an employer,
I would expect that as the baseline for being an employee I want >to allow
to be around.

That could be another reason for contracting/job hopping: if your employer
believes that employees should consider being allowed to continue in
employment a privilege, regardless of how much more s/he will have to pay to
hire your replacement, then the only way to get a raise commensurate with
market rates is... to leave. (That attitude tends to get my back up, anyway,
I confess.)

Looking at the job ads (something I've taken to doing sporadically whether
job hunting or not) it's not a good time for tech writers in the UK, either.
I don't know how common the attitude John describes is among employers (I've
encountered it more than once, but that might just be my bad luck): not
feeling that if their employees are good workers they should try to keep
them, but that even if their employers are good workers they should feel
fortunate to be allowed to stay.

That was one reason I enjoyed contracting: the position was quite clear. No
muggy questions of "but are you loyal?" just the expectation of high
performance and the reward of high pay.

Jane Carnall
Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith
my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.