Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:38:44 -0500

> Neither one of us believe, as you and others do, that captivity
> necessarily produces deadwood.

You're putting words in my mouth. I'm NOT saying all permanent employees
are dim, lazy chair-warmers. (I know plenty of dedicated, talented
employees.)

What I AM saying: a lot of companies have the wrong priorities when it
comes to their employees. They obsess about what time Joe Employee arrives
in the morning, how many hours he's in the office, and whether he wears the
appropriate fabrics Monday through Thursday (khakis good, denim bad!). They
base his pay on how many years he's been there or whether he has the right
kind of degree instead of how good or valuable his work is. When it comes
to contractors, however, a lot of companies are suddenly focused on
results. Contractors are brought in to fill a specific need, and they're
judged on how well they do that. That suits me.

I have no personal objections to permanent employment if those priorities
are straight and the company pays decently (instead of offering a low
salary and inflating the supposed worth of the benefits package).

My point is that for some of us, contracting means a clearer and more
sensible employment relationship, without all the petty, arbitrary BS that
so often accompanies permanent positions.