Re: Question: Comma Before Company Abbreviation?

Subject: Re: Question: Comma Before Company Abbreviation?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:22:52 -0500

Syed,

This is NOT a matter of style. It is a LEGAL matter. Each corporation is registered with the Secretary of State in the state where it is incorporated. The name of the company MUST follow the EXACT form on the incorporation papers. If there is a comma, use a comma. If there is no comma, then you would be wrong to insert one. If Inc. is abbreviated, abbreviate it. If it is spelled out, then you would be wrong to abbreviate it.

One usage note, and one only: If there is a comma before the "Inc." or "Incorporated" (as the case may be), and if the company name is in the interior of a clause, then you should also place a comma after the "Inc." or "Incorporated." For example:

"ABC, Inc., was founded in 1942."

NOT:

"ABC, Inc. was founded in 1942."

HTH,