Re: upgrade from 98 to XP

Subject: Re: upgrade from 98 to XP
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:04:18 -0800 (PST)

"Steve Hudson" wrote

> 2 NICs (Network Interface Cards). One has the IP for your external
> and goes to the router. One as the ip which is IP slang for
> "local server".

This is not necessary. The original poster has a router, which is the best
way to go.

Dual NIC gateways, which is what Steve is suggesting, are a very bad idea.
They are EXTREMELY easy to hack. I have a client who's entire network was
melted down thanks to a dual-nic WinNT gateway. The hacker planted some
nasty crap on the gateway then had his way with the internal machines
(about 40 of them).

The best config for a small home LAN is to just buy one of those Linksys
or Netgear routers. The 4-port Linksys are down to like $75.00 and A LOT
easier to use than a dual NIC box. And if you do the "DMZ to nowhere"
trick (as I described), you'll actually send inbound hack attempts into
oblivion, slowing down script kiddies armed with port scanners.

If you really want security, the best answer is a true firewall running
something like BSD. These suckers are rock solid. But they are not for the
faint-of-technical-heart. I use one of these in my office (in addition to
about 5 different IDS products). Nothing gets through them. is not slang for "local server" its not slang for anything.
The loopback address is And its slang for "localhost."

And nobody with a small lan should use a submask of unless
they plan on expanding their home office to include 16 million hosts
across 256 subnets (True Class C)! A /25 ( subnet mask is
more than enough for most home offices. It can have 128 ( - IP addresses and it is limited to 2 subnets, thus reducing
the chance somebody could try to poison your routing tables or send over
spoofed packets with a higher IP address.

If you're bored, play with this subnet mask calculator:

Andrew Plato

Do You Yahoo!?

your book. What are you waiting for?

See and check it out.