Serious Q

Subject: Serious Q
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:50:11 -0500

At 02:02 PM 2/6/02 -0500, jgarison -at- ide -dot- com wrote:

I would hope that no one would disregard a qualified candidate just because the person happened to be working in a different mode - for whatever reason. If a contractor wants to come inside, well and good. If a permanent person wants to work under a contract, also fine. As long as they are the best person for the job and understand the demands of the job, they would be my choice.

If you were my mother, you would have encouraged my sister to keep looking for her life's partner in the swinging singles clubs because there just might be a misguided gem there! :) </tongue-in-cheekily>

There is no demonstrable ROI gained by including the entire kit'n'kaboodle. In this market, there are too many people who are equally good and capable. Everyone keeps telling me that I'll miss a gem. All I will get is double the pile of candidates, more work, and no gain. It is an arbitrary distinction I readily admit. But the fact of its arbitrariness does not mean that the pool candidates who desire FT jobs (and remember, they will include, b/c of this market, contractors and FTers) is less capable on average than the pool of candidates that encouraged all comers.

I'd like the opportunity to ask you and others for your answers to these Qs: If you received a phone call asking you why you chose contracting, would you tell them that you preferred it so you could do one or more of the following:
take sabbaticals (Bruce Byfield);
because you got bored (John Posada);
because you don't fit into old economy workplaces;
because you prefer intensity which you can more readily obtain through contracting?
because contracting keeps you on the bleeding edge whereas FT doesn't offer those opps?

If you answered yes to the above, how would you make your pitch?

Next Qs from the interviewer: "Tell me, why did you feel that full-time employment didn't afford you these opportunities? You clearly risked financial security, so what prompted that move? What was unpleasant about FT work that you'd take that risk?"

Kelley