Re: Questions about a 600 page manual - Piece of Cake

Subject: Re: Questions about a 600 page manual - Piece of Cake
From: "Ronald E. Jones" <rej -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:41:41 -0600

Brian

Here's the opposite recommendation!

First, we do these every week since one part of our business is producing the internal training manuals for Microsoft's Irving site and all their International sites.

Is a 600-page spiral bound manual too big?

No problem at all. We even coil larger than this on a regular basis. You document (and this binding) will work just fine, open 360 degrees and lay flat, will not come apart, and will not bend out of shape. I'd estimate we produce 20,000-30,000 of these annually. We use continuous plastic coil binding. Wire coil will bend and the GBC "comb" is useless.

Are all those visual examples going to become just a new version of
unusability? I'd guess 3 grey-scall images (GIF to keep size down),
minimum.

For a doc this size, you need to work to minimize graphic file sizes - NOT for storage space but for spooling/ripping time to the printer.

Is it essential to store the images outside the file or can I import
them into the document?

Outside - referencing only for a doc this size - well, any size.

Can Word 97 handle such a document without corrupting the file or
creating enormous strains on my productivity?

We only use Word for basic wordprocessing - letters. We use Frame for all document work - manuals, proposals, brochures, booklets, etc.

I have the option of converting to FrameMaker now. Should I do so
despite the fact that the client has always demanded a copy in Word in
the past? My internal customer says we could deliver in PDF, but my
warning system tells me I'll have to convert later to Word anyway.

I can't speak to your client's needs or wants.

If we can help further, contact me off-list. Hope this bit of info provides some guidance!

Ron Jones

Dr. Ronald E. Jones, President
RonJon Publishing, Inc.
1001 S. Mayhill Rd., Denton, TX 76208
Free 800-262-3060 Ph 940-383-3060 Fax 940-387-0505
E-mail - rjones -at- ronjonpublishing -dot- com
Web Site - http://www.ronjonpublishing.com