legality of web links to articles?

Subject: legality of web links to articles?
From: Caitlin Gannon <caitlin -dot- gannon -at- groupsystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:07:06 -0700

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question for the list regarding copyright and such, one of my
least favorite subjects. I'm in the process of rebuilding and redesigning my
company's website, and I want to create the illusion of frequent change on
the home page by adding links to articles related to what we do.

Is there any reason why I can't put a link to a Business Week article or
Internet World or whatever? I'd think they'd like the traffic, but these
days copyright is so closely held I'd hate to do something illegal. And
asking every editor for permission is not exactly a possibility. In
addition to being webmaster, I'm also trainer and course developer and
documenter, so it's a wonder I get anything done.

If you have any guidance, please respond to me privately (cc the list too if
you like) as I often don't make it thru the digest. Thanks in advance!

Caitlin Gannon
caitlin -dot- gannon -at- groupsystems -dot- com