Re: I can't imagine where this portrayal came from...

Subject: Re: I can't imagine where this portrayal came from...
From: Vickie Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:10:27 -0800

At 4:24 PM +0000 2/12/02, Darren Barefoot wrote:

I just discovered that the Dilbert site has been revised, and it
includes a cast of characters (it may have previously, but I never
looked before). The following is the frighteningly-accurate description
of Tina the Tech Writer:

"She's the technical writer in Dilbert's engineering department. Tina
believes any conversation within hearing distance is intended as an
insult to her profession and her gender. She strives to maintain her
dignity while surrounded by engineers who don't have a proper respect
for her work."

Ah well, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? I mean,
after all, I couldn't stop myself from phrasing that with a "the
following...is" statement. Dignity, schmignity. DB.

When Scott Adams created Tina the brittle tech writer, she was supposed to be a one-off. Adams got so much angry mail about the character, largely from technical writers, that he decided to make her a recurring character.

If I recall correctly, he ended that anecdote with "Sometimes I *love* my job."