Re: For Your Amusement: RAS Syndrome

Subject: Re: For Your Amusement: RAS Syndrome
From: "Jo Baer" <jbaer -at- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:29:43 -0600

OK, I originally replied only to Robert, but I feel the need to defend myself
here. Here's what I sent to Robert:

Aaaarrrggghhh! I write for a bank. We always used to write "PIN," not "PIN
Number." Customers and front-line employees alike almost always say "PIN

About a year ago, a very senior officer decided that PIN was jargon, and had to
be removed from all manuals. All instances of PIN had to be changed to "secret
code." Except, of course, where PIN was part of a form name, equipment name,
etc. PIN is a widely used and understood industry term. True, many people can't
tell you what the letters stand for, but they know what a PIN is and how to use

So now you hear, at the teller line, "Please key your secret code."

"I don't have a secret code."

"Didn't you pick a secret code when you got your card?"

"Oh, you mean my PIN number."

Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer
TCF National Bank
Minneapolis, Minnesota
jbaer -at- -dot- tcfbank -dot- com

The mome rath isn't born that could outgrabe me.

Nicol Williamson

RE: For Your Amusement: RAS Syndrome: From: Robert Rinehart