Re: Legality of web links to articles? (Take II)

Subject: Re: Legality of web links to articles? (Take II)
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:46:45 -0500

At 01:16 PM 2/12/02 -0500, Hart, Geoff wrote:

<<The WEB was conceived primarily for commerce>>

No, it was designed primarily for easy exchange of information among
scientific researchers; it was only much later hijacked by commerce and
business, often to its detriment.

yep, I use the Web to refer to something that is largely about commerce. There was a debate as you probably remember: continue the direct and indirect government funding, or go with the advertising model. Those who had influence at the time said, go with the advertising model. They shaped the rise of the Web. Admittedly, I'm being influenced by hacker culture in my use of the term Web v. Internet. It's not just about port 80, IOW.

I enjoyed Joseph Turow's discussion in _Breaking Up America_. Some of his views are summarized here, http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97jun/advert.htm

Like I said, politically I have one answer, but in other roles...

kelley