Re: breaking out in technical communications

Subject: Re: breaking out in technical communications
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:58:55 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:
> "Joan Wagner" wrote.
> > My name is Joan Wagner, and I am a junior majoring in
> > business and technical communications. I am running
> > into some problems gaining experience, which might
> > hurt me after graduation. I was wondering if anyone
> > had any suggestions for someone just starting out.
> Buy a copy of Windows 2000 Server on Ebay, use it to setup a small domain.
> Setup a small network and study up on systems networking. Add a
> workstation to your new domain.
> Take a Visual Basic or C course. Learn object oriented programming.
> Take a class on database theory. Not an Access course, a real database
> class on how relational database systems work.
> Take some science and math classes - hone those analysis skills.
> This will prepare you to be a good technical writer. It will also allow
> you to sell your technical skills rather than your writing skills.
> Technical skills are always in higher demand than writing skills.

That is basically good advice. I have a few comments. Win2k professional
can function as a domain server. I would not waste time with VB. Jump
into a true object language such as Java and/or C++ or C#. Database
theory can only help advance your career. Don't take networking or
operating systems unless you have a solid technical grounding in data

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)

Re: breaking out in technical communications: From: Andrew Plato