AuthorIT

Subject: AuthorIT
From: "Sue Kirk" <skirk -at- iprimus -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:59:35 +1000

Brad Jensen wrote:

<I guess I don't have to tell the people on this list that it is
<the quality of the writing that makes the most difference in
<elearning. It's not learning styles, or multimedia, or
<instructional design.

I disagree if you dont do an instructional design how do you know what you
are delivering? Learning styles are another way of addressing audience so I
also disagree that they are not important. Multimedia to me translates to
multi-sense learning. It allows you to incorporate visuals into your
learning. Where would we be without pictures, especially for people with
poor literacy skills. I agree with Martha here that a good learning guide
is often adequate and low cost, however, electronic documents should prevail
and I dont really mind which application as long as it allows interactivity,
i.e. allows hyperlinking.

I also agree with Martha that multiple choice is not always the best choice
of assessment. I dont think it does the best job of ascertaining competency
(there is a lot of guess work involved) But then I still feel that there
has to be interaction at some level with an Instructor even if it is just
for marking assignments/exams. Self-assessment is important throughout the
learning and I guess multiple choice questions have their place here. All
in all you cant beat a good learning guide in either Werd or HTML.

Susan Kirk
Information Design & Development
http://home.iprimus.com.au/skirk/Resume.html