bitmap error message

Subject: bitmap error message
From: Ellen Vanrenen <ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:28:46 -0700

We are preparing a release for tomorrow. We received some graphics files
from a vendor. When we try to open a bitmap we need immediately, we get the
message, "The bitmap is not in a recognized format," or something like that
(I'm not at work, so I'm not sure of the exact wording of the error message.
Noone at the office has seen this error message before, so I wondered if
anyone had every encountered this error and knows what the problem is.
Thanks.