RE: How to Name It?

Subject: RE: How to Name It?
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:25:30 -0500

Meena S [mailto:meena -at- thinkbn -dot- com] described " a problem in naming
conventions: ...[for] another file that details the XML files
used in the project and where they are referred to in the application. How
do we name this file? It is meant primarily for developers."
________________________
Meena:

When I create manual files, especially when they will be stored in a version
control system or even in a network directory, I try to build a logical file
tree so someone else can find what they are looking for.

The top level name is usually the manual name: KDXv2DesignGuide. I try to
get the product, release, manual, and category of info into each file name
so all the related files can be grouped logically together, and a view of
the directory structure lets someone searching for information find it.

On the next level I have sub files for the chapter and other files used in
the guide: KDXv2DGChapfiles and KDXv2DGGraphfiles. Inside each of these is
another file with all the backup files: KDXv2DGChpBkups and
KDXv2DGgrafbkups.

If I have other related info that I want stored with the Design Guide
material, I put them in separate subfolders or directories in the overall
KDXv2DesignGuide top-level directory: KDGv2DGHelpReqs, or KDGv2DGXmlfiles,
or whatever other category I need. In the graphics folder I may have
subfiles of Visio originals, or whatever other categories of images I used
to create the final graphics that went into the manual. If I have pdfs of
each chapter, I may have a KDXv2DGPdf subfile in the top-level folder.

I have received directories of files for manuals in progress that had one
file with all the chapters, graphics, source documents, and assorted other
files all in one big directory. The first thing I had to do was to open
every file, find out what it was and how it related to the project, and
create a directory tree that made sense to me. If I structure my resources,
it is much easier to get back into a project, or start a new revision, after
you have been away from it awhile.

I hope this helps. I didn't mean to go off on a grumble about unsorted
source files, but it is one of my pet peeves.

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com