Re: Performance Measure Question

Subject: Re: Performance Measure Question
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:24:58 -0500

At 05:56 AM 2/17/02 +0000, John Fleming wrote:

I'm busy doing a routine resume update, and I'm hoping someone here can give me some good suggestions on how to phrase something.

The department in question has performance measures they are expected to meet. For example, one of the perfromance measures is "Percentage of Successful Completion of Adult Offender Probation Dispositons"

My task is to come up with a number, say 65%, using available research tools.

Management can then take that number and decide of the department is on target or not.

Benchmarking research is one term, especially if mgmt intends to use that data as a baseline for goals (benchmarks) that a department should strive for next quarter, next fiscal year, etc. Technically, what you are doing is preliminary research to develop an indicator. Indicators are empirical data that signify a larger, more abstract concept. For personal health, there are indicators like cholesterol level and blood pressure levels. For community health, we have indicators like infant and maternal mortality rates, for instance. Indicators don't tell us the whole story, instead it's a hook that enables us to compare--either historically in one person/community or between and among people/communities. The Myers-Briggs Test (down Sandy! <g>) is an indicator of what sort of "personality" you might be hiring.

The term benchmarking was adapted as a result of new management ideologies, like TQM and especially CQI, Continuous Quality Improvement.

Kelley