How is the job market in your area?

Subject: How is the job market in your area?
From: "bgoett" <rbg -at- silk -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:43:55 -0800

Horrible, just horrible. When I was turfed out of my comfy job with a
company owned by Daimler Chrysler just before Christmas, I thought "okay,
I'll just hang out my shingle and try to drum up some freelance work." I
live in Canada, by the way. I advertised, networked, did whatever I had to
do to get my name out there. People started to call me about jobs but when
the discussion turned to how much I charge, it always ended with "I'll get
back to you about this." If you knew how much I am asking for an hourly
rate, you tech writers in the U.S. would probably think I am on crack (okay,
I'll tell you, $25 Cdn, or about $18.00 U.S). I live a bit off the beaten
track but in an area with a growing high tech and manufacturing sector.
Bottom line is, people where I live think they can hire a tech writer for
about $12.00 an hour CDN. They think tech writers are glorified typists or
office help. It's pretty damn discouraging after awhile.

Bruce Goett
Discouraged in Canada