Metaphors for "technical communicators"

Subject: Metaphors for "technical communicators"
From: "Nancy Hoft" <nhoft -at- world-ready -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:50:05 -0500

I'm collecting metaphors (and related citations) for "technical
communicators". I am interested in only 4-5 of the most common, and
perhaps the most recent. I've already posted this email to the email list for the
Association for Teachers of Technical Writing (ATTW), and my query has elicited
some interesting responses and related discussion. I'm most interested in seeing
what the readers of TECHWR-L have to contribute.

My query originates from a paper that I'll be presenting next month at the ATTW
conference in Chicago. The topic of my paper is "Exploring the Ambassadorial Role
of Technical Communicators and Its Pedagogical Implications." If you're curious,
you're most welcome to read the paper's abstract (the paper's still in development)
at http://www.world-ready.com/present.htm.

I'm happy to share my list when it's complete with those interested. Thanks in
advance for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers, Nancy

--
Nancy Hoft ~ and ~ Nancy Hoft Consulting
PhD Student, Rhetoric and Technical Communication