Re: Resume format

Subject: Re: Resume format
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:17:39 -0700

Wow - we're seeing some EXTREMELY divergent points of view here!

Some of the Reverend's statements are very bold, and sound very confident
and forceful. But are they accurate and/or truly realistic?

> ...If the HR Department isn't competent enough to do that, I
> wouldn't be too confident in their ability to make sure your pay goes
> in regularly either.

I have NEVER been bowled over by the intellect/judgement I've encountered
in HR workers. If I based my decision on whether I wanted to work for a
company on how well I thought their HR staff would do on a MENSA entrance
exam, I'd never find a job. My pay comes in regularly, and if it didn't,
*I* would get the problem solved quickly.

> If you have been a TW, you have used Word. It's as simple as that.

Really? Not me, at least not the first few years. Now I use it, and
consider myself quite good at it, but I thought I was a tech writer long
before the first day I fired up Word on a computer. Was I wrong?

> Sounds like your standard pushy recruiter. Don't put up with it.

This is a person/organization you have chosen to help you find work. They
have told you how you can help them. Your response is "just say no"?
Interesting.

> > * Was this recruiter definitely rude and defensive, or is it just my
> > neurotic opinion?
>
> Yes, and you don't have to take it.

And apparently, you don't have to find a job either.

I think you're a bit caught up in the vision of how you think things
SHOULD be, rather than how they ARE. This recruiter is offering a clear
blueprint of what she needs to effectively market you. If you resist her
suggestions, you're not helping her.

I don't know if she's good at her job. But it doesn't seem like you want
to give her a chance to prove it.

- Keith Cronin

My name is Keith. I'm a sigaholic. It's been eight days since I composed a
clever sig line.