Re: PDF to Word

Subject: Re: PDF to Word
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:26:27 -0700

I think of PDF as "Adobe's Revenge." They made darn sure it did not play
nicely with Microstuff.

It's a tedious job to do this conversion, particularly for complex pieces
of desktop publishing with side heads, multiple columns, etc. When you
paste this stuff into Word, little snippets of text show up in the
darndest places.

Our marketing team publishes brochures and other company literature in PDF
form, and I'm always pleading with them to keep archives of the Word docs
they used to compose the initial copy. About half the time they remember
to do so. I'm going to have to increase their donut supply.

>From my experience, when dealing with PDFs that you or your company took
no part in creating, you're SOL. My main suggestion is PRINT THE ORIGINAL.
Then mark off each section of the hard copy as you successfully transfer
it into Word. This may not be necessary for a simple document, but if it
has anything even as complicated as a bulleted list, you need to be
vigilant.

Good luck, and be patient!

- Keith Cronin

If curling is considered an Olympic event, I think tech writing should be,
too.