Tools used in job

Subject: Tools used in job
From: edahlquist -at- gmx -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:30:38 +0100 (MET)

Hi!
We are a group of Technical Communication majors at a university, and would
appreciate a response from anyone on this list willing to respond to a couple
of brief questions. We are surveying the use of software tools in the
current job market, to make suggestions for possible curriculum changes or
additional software availability.
1. What general area do you work in? (software docs, usability, aerospace,
etc.)
2. What software tools do you use on a regular basis? (word processing,
help, graphics, etc.)
3. What software tools would you prefer to use on a regular basis?

We understand that the best way to learn software is to use it, and that
there are many alternatives, but we would really appreciate your opinions on the
following:
4. What software tools would you recommend as "basic job skills" for tech
writers?
5. What other skills would you recommend as "basic" for tech writers?

The last question seems vague, unfortunately. What we need is input on
general areas that would be valuable for new people in the field to become
familiar with before entering the job market. There seems to be a wild swing between
the suggestions to take "pure writing" classes--journalism, English,
screenwriting--and other opinions that emphasize "pure tech" classes like
programming, networking, and engineering.

Thanks!

--
.

http://www.gmx.net