RE: deer in the headlights

Subject: RE: deer in the headlights
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:24:28 -0700

Sue Gallagher suggested:

> Keith,
> It's called stage-fright. Everybody gets it to a certain extent
> and it's more prevalent in some situations than others. But it's
> stage-fright none the less. When someone is watching you perform,
> performance anxiety takes over; and it doesn't matter if you're
> standing up in front of an audience or sitting in front of your
> workstation with only one person standing over your shoulder.

I disagree - I really think this is something different. I don't "do"
stage fright, after more than 25 years as a professional musician,
including a fair amount of time emceeing for bands. And I'm decidedly NOT
afraid of making a fool of myself (as many of my posts to this List no
doubt prove).

I've done lots of recording sessions where I've had multiple people
telling me what to do, while the clock ticked and the bill ran up. No
problem.

That's why I think this is somehow computer-related. I don't lose my
capacity for witty banter when these intruders enter my cube. My product
knowledge stays intact. There's just something about the over-the-shoulder
thing that kills my computer skills, nothing else.

- Keith "go away - I'm typing" Cronin