Re: deer in the headlights - presentations

Subject: Re: deer in the headlights - presentations
From: Hannah <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 21 Feb 2002 17:17:24 EST

Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
<snip>
> The problem I have is that when I do presentations, talks, trainings,
whatever,
> anything standing up in front of people, I get very warm and begin to sweat
> profusely. This lasts somewhere between five minutes and forever (or maybe
it
> just seems that way <g>).
>
> I don't have any problem doing the presentation, speech, or whatever,
except
> for the droplets of sweat that fall from my face onto my papers. I always
need
> an extra handkerchief or a roll of paper towels to get through these
things.
> Yet, I can't say that I 'feel' any particular anxiety. I just sweat
buckets.
> </snip>

ok - no buckets of sweat, but for me it's the red face. i am totally
comfortable. my speech, my projection, my body language - everything is
totally fine. i can handle any questions and don't feel anxious in any way.
but my face always, always, always, turns red. for anything, though. if i have
to talk in a meeting, if i have to answer a question in class, whatever! i
turn red. i used to be all clumsy and horrible at speaking in front of others
but worked on it and grew out of it. all except that red face.

i'm hoping that with time and practice my physiological reaction will subside.
perhaps i need a 12 step program, though.

hannah Bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1