RE: Tight economy/fewer positions

Subject: RE: Tight economy/fewer positions
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:30:14 -0800 (PST)

--- Ellen Vanrenen <ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com> wrote:
> John,
> It probably doesn't come as a surprise to you that I can't apply
> for this
> job. I have no experience with single-sourcing, XML, and ISO. I do
> have HTML
> and SGML experience, and I can meet the job description.

Ellen...under the right conditions, this is a reasonable set of
requirements. Don't look at everything combined and say "WHOA! Look
at all the stuff they want! I can't do that!" Instead, look at each
requirement and say "Yeah...I can DO it!"

Since there are many companies that are involved with ISO, any writer
who starts out by working for one of them (I did) is compliant.

That writer doing some entry level web page, which it seems that
every Tom, Dick and Harry has one, the HTML is covered.

> I found it unreasonable that a technical writer with 2 years and
> some experience would be able to meet these requirements:

Keep in mind that they may not be expecting the applicant to have
EVERY single one, many adverts are wish lists. This has been covered
as a topic quite often.

> "Works with product teams and manages individual projects from
> beginning to completion.
You've never taken a document or help application from blank screen
to printer?

>... Interviews and interfaces with engineers in a design
> and production environment.
You've never discussed features with developers to write a
deliverable?

> Maintains and revises a large library of legacy manuals using
> advanced FrameMaker techniques.
Define advanced. To some people, knowing how to apply <C> and <P>
tags, create a Master Page and a book, and generate a TOC IS
advanced.

> Requires high standards of writing and quality and the ability to
> meet tight deadlines under pressure."
Doesn't every position?

> And have these skills
> "Participates in special team projects and ongoing documentation
> improvements
Piece of cake. Define "special team projects" and on the ongong
document improvements, ever refine a style template? Ever suggest
ways to your management to make something better?

> Experience with single-sourcing and usability preferred
Yep, I'd like it too...preferred...not required.

> Experience with HTML, XML, or SGML preferred
Ever make and manage a web site? My friend's 15 year old son has a
web site on professional wrestling. Surely you can create a simple
web page in notepad, no?

----------
<head>
<title>My Web Page</title>
</head>

<h1><font face="Verdana">Heading</font></h1>

This is a link to the Olympics. Click it:

Look, Ma...web experience...no hands

> Experience with ISO processes preferred"
Covered above.

Like I said...no biggee.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer