Re: Tight economy/fewer positions

Subject: Re: Tight economy/fewer positions
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:45:22 -0800 (PST)

Salette

1) I looked at the adv ) and there is no mention of money, rate, or
number of hours in it. How do you figure $6.73 per hour for this
position? How do you figure 60 hours for this position?

2) Where do you see anything about answering a phone?

3) Where do you see the word Training?

3) It does not require a miracle worker. It takes a professional
technical writer, which you can be in two years you take it
seriously. BTW...the description says "at LEAST 2 years", not "at
MOST 2 years".

I have EVERY one of the skills except XML and I'm not a miracle
worker..just someone who does my job. I'm also not from that area, or
I'd be sending them my resume.

I cannot believe that from a group of technical writers I see so much
reading into the post with no solid basis. I hope we're not writing
our documentation this way.

Latas <salette -at- latasgroup -dot- com> wrote:
> Keith Cronin wrote: I agree that 21K is a pretty crappy salary for
> a tech writer, but it beats what I made driving a truck.
>
> Truth be told, this company wasn't looking for a tech writer, per
> se. They
> were looking for a miracle worker who could write proposals,
> maintain their
> web page, develop training, and yes, answer the phones. They
> somehow figured
> that they could find an entry-level administrative assistant to do
> all that.
>
> Sixty hours a week at $21,000.00 figures out to $6.73 per hour, or
> just a
> little more than what my 16-year-old makes at the local burger
> joint. If

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15