Re(2): Tired of giving out technical advice for free

Subject: Re(2): Tired of giving out technical advice for free
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:36:27 +0100

>Finally, I cannot help the irony. Might not the time you spent penning the
>tech-whirler message and reading responses - let alone time spent by
>respondants in replying - have been better spent just helping the poor fella
>and moving on? Let alone expecting us to spend unpaid time... blah blah ad
>nauseum.

I had been thinking about that, too. But her problem is recurring, while
with the collective wisdom of the answers gathered here, she needs to
spend time on the solution only once. So, no, the time spent here would
not have been spent better helping the poor fellow.

And the difference between the inquiries she receives and the one she
posted is that, in here, she asks the faceless mass. No single list
participant is under any social pressure to answer, which is very
different from receiving specifically addressed queries. Presumably, she
also shares her knowledge on the list, which puts her in a different
situation from somebody writing an author who has never heard of him or her.

(I asked her offline for a cut anyway - nothing doing, she's a tough
cookie ;-)

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345