Web Development Tool Needed

Subject: Web Development Tool Needed
From: "Branham, Craig" <cbranham -at- rational -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:59:00 -0800

Hello, all.

I'm in a situation that requires a special kind of development tool and I
was wondering if someone who has worked in a similar situation might lend
some advice.

I work in a team WBT development situation where content developers work in
a different location from production staff. The content-side people are
Web-design savvy, but not code and mark-up savvy. We content people want to
be able to develop content for each module in a single concatenated WYSIWYG
document (the easiest way to compose, edit, and rearrange content) that can
be broken out automatically into sets of linked (and at times
cross-referenced) HTML text pages, based on a standard template and file
naming scheme.

So, essentially, I'm looking for a development tool/technology combo that
will produce complete HTML "builds" of a site (with just formatted text and
placeholders for graphics etc.) that we can quickly show
reviewers/stakeholders, then throw away when new sets of changes to the
content need to be made. The goal is to perform all development work in the
same set of files and never have to generate or synchronize HTML content "by
hand".

It seems that what we need is to develop in XML and use style sheets,
templates, and scripts to generate HTML pages. An ideal solution would allow
us to work without having to touch any of the code or tags once we've
established templates and styles.

Has anyone discovered a way to do this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Craig Branham
Sr. Course Developer

R a t i o n a l