RE: Are you a writer?

Subject: RE: Are you a writer?
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:02:40 -0500

My name is John. I am a writer.

I don't always write from scratch. Sometimes I take stuff other people have
cobbled together and make sense out of it. Sometimes I am involved from the
beginning in design all the way through implementation and delivery.
Sometimes I understand some stuff better than other times.

In many ways, I feel like a journalist. I interview people to find out what
has happened, and what needs to happen to get to completion. I ask a lot of
"Why?" questions and try to come up with analogies that will help me explain
things better. I let my expert witnesses know that I have done my homework
by asking questions with references to specifications, white papers, code
samples, whatever I have to work with.

In the end, I take all of what I know and what I have learned and organize
it into something that will instruct and inform. I use certain tools as aids
to get my words and the occasional picture into a presentable format so that
it is easy to read, easy to scan, easy to assimilate.

The work is my own, even though some words, phases, even whole paragraphs
may have origins in a source document that I used. My job is to synthesize.

I am a writer.

To quote Andrew - Back to work now!

John

John Garison