What then is the SME/TW functional relationship? (was Re: Theory vs. Practice (was: What's a TW etc...)

Subject: What then is the SME/TW functional relationship? (was Re: Theory vs. Practice (was: What's a TW etc...)
From: "Melody Akins" <melodyakins -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:51:55 -0600

Hi!

a point about how much subject matter knowledge a TW 'should' have:

>>>"However, in case it wasn't, I meant: enough knowledge that you're not
not dependent on SMEs to tell you if what you've written is complete or
technically accurate.

>>>Conversely, if you are heavily dependent on SMEs for this information and
make no effort to correct that dependency, that's coasting."

My comment: Of what use are Subject Matter Experts, then? If a SME is just
on the project as a 'consultant' and has no actual responsibility for the
product, then is the SME to be asked to review the product on 'final
approach' only? Ever?

If the TW has no requirement to submit the product for review by the SME,
then why is the SME on the project / development team in the first place?
Does the TW just check in with the SME if there are a few *minor* (who gets
to judge what is minor? The TW? The SME?) questions?

Just some questions.

Regards,
Melody
"Take the Shoes Off Your Mind!"(c)