RE: I suppose this is my most frustrating grammar error

Subject: RE: I suppose this is my most frustrating grammar error
From: Donald -dot- H -dot- White -at- pmusa -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:34:40 -0500

Sixty percent of the Usage Panel accepts the use of data with a
singular verb and pronoun in the
sentence Once the data is in, we can begin to analyze it.

'Data is' vs. 'Data are'.

I use what I believe is common sense with this, but I use 'information' to
indicate the singular rather than 'datum.' I don't care what the Microsoft
Manual of Style dictates--MS has no style, to my knowledge. It doesn't
matter that 66% or 77% of people commonly use a construction; 'ain't' is as
commonly used here as is 'y'all' and 'all y'all'--I don't use any of these
in writing, either (other than in fiction whilst building dialog).

Other rants:

'decisioning' -- Since when did this become a verb?
'repurposing' -- Same challenge.
'leverage resources' -- What are we telling someone to do when we write this
claptrap?

Have we come to the point where English does not appear to be 'technical?'
Is it so imprecise that we construct convoluted terms and misuse verbs and
nouns so as to appear more professional?

One thread running on the board concerned the relationship between technical
writers and so-called SMEs. Well, technical writers ARE (supposed to be)
subject matter experts where language and grammar are concerned.

Don White
Technical Writer
dwhite -at- venturipartners -dot- com