RE: PowerPoint for the Unenthused

Subject: RE: PowerPoint for the Unenthused
From: "Kevin Christy" <kevinchristy -at- socal -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:51:23 -0800

Keith:

Decide what skills you need to develop (animation, slide effects, templates,
drawing, etc.) and find the book that covers the topics that you need.
Advanced users become advanced, in my experience, because they learned how
to accomplish in the program what they needed in order to get the job done.
So, decide what the job needs, and then you know what you need to learn.

That's helped me to target my book buying to the ones that actually
contained answers to the questions that I had. Even some of the 600+page
books may not cover what you're looking for. You may find that between a
Dummies book, a massive Office anthology, and a narrow-segment Power Point
VBA book from O'Reilly, you can cover what you need to learn. It's unlikely
that any one book will meet your needs if you have a complex project.

Although I must say, PowerPoint is the one program that I never really did
much reading on, mainly because I think the minimalist approach works best
with slide presentations. Loaded-up, multicolor, flashy, cheesy PowerPoint
presentations are a pet peeve of mine. Hence, most of PowerPoint's advanced
features don't interest me.

Kevin