Re: Depression, Harrassment, etc. (IMPORTANT INFORMATION)

Subject: Re: Depression, Harrassment, etc. (IMPORTANT INFORMATION)
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:47:47 -0800 (PST)

I hate to go off topic, but I feel a response is
required.

None of us has any basis for questioning Anonymous's
depression. We know about a small part of his/her
situation, of which "work" may be only a small factor.
Some of the responses here, questioning and even
mocking her diagnosis, show how ignorant we are about
depression.

Depression is a legitimate disease, just like cancer
and heart disease. It is carefully diagnosed and
treated by professionals using The Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Anyone who's
ever lived with a relative or friend who's been
diagnosed with depression (even MILD depression) knows
how disabling the disease can be.

Victims of depression cannot just "snap out of it,"
"get over it," or do some "volunteer work with the
physically/mentally handicapped." It's a struggle that
taps every ounce of energy they have in their body.

There's a big difference between being diagnosed with
depression by a competent professional and simply
being uptight or agitated with work or some other life
event.

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

http://sports.yahoo.com