Re: The Big Lie (was 'Are You a Writer?')

Subject: Re: The Big Lie (was 'Are You a Writer?')
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:32:53 -0000

Here in the UK it's a bit less problematic as there have, until
recently, been VERY few TW courses. This has meant that, in most cases,
TWing was a second career (or after an apprenticeship in engineering
etc) so writers brought with them a wealth of experience in electronics,
programming etc. I went straight from college to TWing but I'd done a
fairly broad technical degree (electronics, programming, engineering
etc) and managed OK but there were still times when I felt I was on a
very steep learning curve as far as the content went.

Now there are more courses and newbie writers are being turned out who
are familiar with TW theory, tools etc but have little content
background. This isn't a problem in some cases (can be a help when doing
user documentation, especially software) but in others it means the new
TWers are really editors. Where they go from there depends very much on
how quick they are to adapt and learn the content.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.
50/51 Malone Road