RE: Tech writers and severance packages

Subject: RE: Tech writers and severance packages
From: "OTTO,KAREN (A-Spokane,ex1)" <karen_otto -at- agilent -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:28:33 -0700

The company I worked for recently had two layoffs. There were two formal
components to the severance package: one which you got no matter what, and
one which you got if you signed an "I won't dis the company" document. For
the average employee the first component comprised about 2/3 of the total
package value.

I have since heard of some variance in the non-cash portions of the
severance. There was some flexibility for some people in termination date.
Occasionally someone got to keep some equipment like computers or palmtops.

Think creatively. You might find some very useful benefits that a company is
willing to provide.
I personally would target my manager's signoff on items to be used in my
portfolio. Also I'd like my palmtop, maybe a software package or two.

Karen Otto
karen_otto -at- agilent -dot- com