Re: THANKS! Re: It's time to go

Subject: Re: THANKS! Re: It's time to go
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 11:36:55 -0800

Eric (and others):

Language that is inflammatory or baiting tends to draw responses in kind.

RW >But, as I mentioned before, the tone of this list has changed, considerably.
RW >And it's changed to something that no longer feels comfortable to me. I feel
RW >so much derisiveness from this list, and too much of it seems personal.

I have protested privately and publicly, many times, to postings that were not only off topic but derisive on a personal level, one which I find not only unprofessional, but downright counterproductive. We're supposed to be here to seek help from and offer help to each other, not engage in putdowns and other forms of arrogance. I've long had a beef with one member whose messages are more putdowns of real tech writers than informative - and the problem that the tone of those messages invites responses from others in the same tone. However my discussions on this topic with Eric have been amazingly unproductive.

And then there's the discussion (ha!) about clinical depression and its effect in the workplace. I'm really appalled at the presumption of some people on this list to make unfounded medical diagnoses and to exhibit personal prejudice about people with disabilities. Were their comments couched in terms of ability to function in the workplace, it would have been an entirely different discussion. But some of what was said here would open the poster to serious discrimination lawsuits had the original poster been in their company. I find it hard to believe the responders are really that ignorant of common business law.

It's become impossible to ping everyone who is rude or
offensive on list--there aren't enough hours in the
day. And, most days, the time that I get to spend
with TECHWR-L isn't spent in answering questions or
providing comments--it's spent as an arbiter or worse.
I'd rather discuss real topics, but find that
impossible most of the time, because of the personal
issues that people involve me in, or because of the
complaints about various grievances.

Perhaps one of the problems is that the membership of the list has grown, and with it, the number of complaints. That's part of the territory with a moderated list - if your premise is that the list should be moderated in order to assure a high quality signal-to-noise ratio, and the list membership grows, the sheer number of 'noise' incidents is going to grow too. You're right, however, to make us stop and think about things every now and then. And among other things, issue the hidden threat that you and Deb, as administrators, could simply take away this sandbox any time you choose. This is your sandbox and your toys, and you make (and enforce) the rules.

I, for one, appreciate the content of this list. I put up with the 'noise'

comments because, overall, I get value from reading the list. I contribute what I hope are reasonable professional comments from time to time. I especially appreciate the time, effort, and aggravation you and Deb put into the list and web site. And if I don't say 'thank you' often enough, please accept my apologies. You know your work is appreciated.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems