RE: True insignificance... and release notes

Subject: RE: True insignificance... and release notes
From: "McCarter, Kim" <kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:34:57 -0500

>I'm wondering how you all deal with release notes. Is your doc department fully

>responsible for them? What processes, if any, are in place to make sure the
>information is circulated efficiently? Who is ultimately responsible for their
>contents, their writing and creating the final documents? If the doc dept.
handles the
>release notes, do you have to tackle people in the hallways to get them to fork
over >the list of known bugs, or is there a system in place by which that
information is
>just magically passed on to you?

I am solely responsible for creating the release notes here, though we have a
problem tracking database (Rational ClearQuest) via which we track all
development efforts (bug fixes, enhancements, new software, etc). I am able to
set up queries of the database that extracts the information that should be in
the release notes (bug fixes and enhancements included in the current release,
issues found during the testing of the current release, etc.) I include, or
not, as I see fit, then my manager and the test team manager gives the notes a
once-over before they are released. It's a long, time-consuming process
tracking down information and workarounds on specific issues, but at least the
database gives me a place to start and some idea who to ask.

_________________________________
Kim McCarter
Information Design & Development
Harris Corporation, Network Support Division
(321) 724-3497
kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com

*****Confidentiality Notice*****
This message is confidential . If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not copy or otherwise disclose the contents of this message to any other person.
If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender
immediately by return e-mail. Thank you.

www.ehelp.com/techwr