Re: If you were going to learn...

Subject: Re: If you were going to learn...
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:41:14 -0800 (PST)

> About database technology, would you:

> (a) Learn Microsoft Access?

No. It's a GUI into a database. If you don't
understand databases on a conceptual level, using a
tool won't help. Some people think Excel is a

> (b) Take a class?

If one was available, yes, but I'd want to learn from
the "top, down." That is, explain database concepts
first. Then tools.

> (c) Read a book?

Maybe, but with the caveat under item b.

> (d) Give it up because you have to be a "techie" to
> understand it?

No. I can understand almost anything. (Except why
people waiting for a train keep looking for it. It's
gonna come folks!)

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

Do You Yahoo!?

If you were going to learn...: From: Bonnie Granat