Re: If you were going to learn...

Subject: Re: If you were going to learn...
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:02:02 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>

> I had thought Access was a relational database.

It was when I used it an hour ago.

> I could not be doing this if I were not in fact interested in the subject.
>
> Part of me is afraid that this effort will be as demoralizing as my
efforts
> to learn C and C++. I would still like to learn them, but as a student in
> the late Nineties, I found that every single book and every single class I
> took simply did not explain it. I always wanted to apply technical writing
> principles to the books I read, but I couldn't, because I didn't know what
> the authors were really saying. Why on earth do they assume that they can
> skip over crucial information and only allude to it? Sorry to ramble.

Learning a programming language is like learning to ride a bike. Reading
about it doesn't teach it.

This is obvious to technical writers, who know that reading about writing
doesn't teach writing.

hang in there. But I don't think you need more theories.

Brad Jensen

www.ehelp.com/techwr