Re: Reference book survey - SUMMARY

Subject: Re: Reference book survey - SUMMARY
From: "Amy Smith/Westford/IBM" <amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:15:05 -0500

>For those of you not familiar with Newton's Telecom
>Dictionary, I highly recommend it. It is both informative and
>entertaining, something you cannot usually say about a dictionary.
Imagine
>a dictionary written by ME and edited by Andrew Plato and you'll start to
>get the idea of its tone.....

I second this recommendation! A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far
away, I used to be a telecom analyst for a market research firm. I read
everything published by Harry Newton. In fact, he used to publish a very
popular magazine for the interconnect industry called, oddly enough,
"Interconnect."

NB: For you infants out there who started working in the post-divestiture
era, 'interconnect' referred to any company that had devices or services
that 'connected' to the The Bell System (caps intentional).

Anyway, Interconnect was the Mad magazine of the telecom industry - witty,
fun, and irreverent. Also chock full of good information.

And Newton's Telecom Dictionary is the only place where I found a *really*
useful definition of 'erlang.'

Now that I think of it, another useful reference for basic telecom
concepts is "Engineering and Operations in the Bell System", published by
Bell Labs. I imagine that this is out of print, but worth getting your
hands on if you can find it. Good for when you need more in-depth
information than Newton's Telecom Dictionary provides. Now that I no
longer write about telecom, mine is doing double duty as a book end, but
every once in a while, I take it out and remember the heady days of the
post-divestiture era, when the RBOCs ruled, MCI was the long-distance
king, and citizens everywhere no longer had to fear The Phone Police. :-)
:-) :-)

Amy Smith, Domino/Notes User Assistance
Lotus Software/IBM Software Group
Phone: 978.399.5009 Tie line: 399-5009
Email: amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com
-- IBM Confidential --

www.ehelp.com/techwr