types of documents

Subject: types of documents
From: Zack Brown <zbrown -at- tumblerings -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:10:45 -0800

Hi folks,

When I first started doing technical writing for a living, I got some
books on it. What I found was that these books focused on things like
organizing information, using clear language, etc.

What I really wanted was information about the specific types of tasks
that a tech writer must do. What are the names of the different types of
documents (functional spec, requirements document, etc), and what are
the features of each of those types?

I also wanted to know what other tasks aside from writing would be part
of the job. For example, writing document templates, coming up with a
work flow system for doc production, doing schedules, etc.

And finally, although I understood it was a fluid concept, it would have
been nice to get some useful data to help negotiate a top salary (or at
least to figure out how the salary I negotiated related to other salaries
in the field, in my geographical location).

In short, I was not savvy, and wanted to become savvy. Are there any
"savvy tech writing" books out there? Maybe they would still help.

Zack Brown