RE: WordPerfect 8.00.225 to Word 9.0.2720

Subject: RE: WordPerfect 8.00.225 to Word 9.0.2720
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:11:17 -0000

Hi Mark

> I am converting a large amount of documentation from WordPerfect 8.00.225
> to Word 2000. Although opening the files in WordPerfect and using save as
> translates all the information and graphics into Word, much of the
> formatting is lost, information is put into text boxes and all the text
> appears in PRIVATE fields.

Conversion between WordPerfect & Word has always been a big problem, simply
because the two products have such different philosophies as regards the
concept of a document and the design of the file format. Take a look at this
article for a deeper description of the problems & issues.

WordPerfect to Word converters (and why none of them are perfect)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WordPerfectConverters.htm

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you very much right now...

The only thing I can think of to do is to do a batch conversion using
whichever process is most reliable, and then develop some VBA macros that do
most of the work of cleaning up the documents in the way that you need after
they are converted. I suspect that there are a number of standard process
that will apply to all documents that do 80-90% of the work, which a macro
could do unattended, once you design it right.

Having designed and tested a macro on one document, you can then run it on
the whole batch, by using a macro such as this

Sub CleanUpBatch()
Dim i As Long
With Application.FileSearch
.Lookin = "C:\WP Batch" 'put your own path here
.Name = "*.doc"
.SearchSubfolders = True 'if you need to search a hierarchy
.Execute
For i = 1 to .FoundFiles.Count
Documents.Open .FoundFiles(i)
CleanUpFile 'This is your cleanup macro
ActiveDocument.Close SaveChanges:=wdSaveChanges
Next i
End With
End Sub

If you get stuck on the design of the cleanup macro, then you can always ask
for help on one of the Microsoft Word newsgroups, such as

Regards
Jonathan West

www.ehelp.com/techwr