RE: types of documents

Subject: RE: types of documents
From: "Foster, Willow" <WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:59:52 -0600

Zack Brown [mailto:zbrown -at- tumblerings -dot- org] wrote:

~> When I first started doing technical writing for a living, I got some
~> books on it. What I found was that these books focused on things like
~> organizing information, using clear language, etc.

Technical writing must be organized and clear. Those books are telling you
the first step to becoming a technical writer. You need to be able to
organize information in a way to make it easy for someone to find what they
are looking for and understand what they need to do to get something done.

~> What I really wanted was information about the specific
~> types of tasks that a tech writer must do.

Depends on what kind of job you get. IMO, the only universal task is learn
about something--how to use it and why--and then tell the users what they
need to know.

~> I also wanted to know what other tasks aside from writing
~> would be part of the job. For example, writing document
~> templates, coming up with a work flow system for doc
~> production, doing schedules, etc.

Yeah... all of that and whatever else they ask for too. I know you're
looking for specifics, but there is no set task list that everyone uses.
When you're interviewing for a job, ask. These are great interview
questions!

Willow

www.ehelp.com/techwr