RE: Occupational Hazard - Carpal Tunnel

Subject: RE: Occupational Hazard - Carpal Tunnel
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:03:20 -0500

I want to thank everyone who wrote about their experiences dealing with wrist pain.Thank you all. For obvious reasons I'm not going to write to you all individually. I hope others reading this list also learned from the suggestions.

Since so many responded I thought I'd report back on my actions.

I will heed the multi-voice suggestion to not diagnose myself with carpel tunnel too quickly. I think that the suggestions about other sources of pain are probably on the money, since I have a neck that goes out of alignment and see a chiropractor irregularly. (and yes, I'm more stressed that usual)

Yoga clearly helps. So now I'm giving over a valuable hour of my day to my health. It's something I've wanted to do for all the other good reasons, but now that I can "justify" it as job insurance. I might also try using some light weight repetitions.

I bought a trackball mouse, the kind where the ball is worked with the forefinger and middle finger. I've always liked trackballs, ( in the late 80's had a huge Kensington for my Mac) just fell out of the habit. I bought this one because it can be used left-handed and I will start practicing.

Posture. I thought my posture was good, but being a bit more conscious have discovered that I sit on the edge of my chair all the time. Why? The arms get in the way. D'oh. Time for a new chair. Also I have to figure out how to drop the PC keyboard. (I've already dropped the trackball onto the lowered tray that holds my Mac keyboard.) Means retro fitting my IKEA desk - losing a drawer... oh well, health is more important.

Yes, I'm folding my wrists while I sleep. I haven't done the sticks yet, but have a wrist brace I've been wearing.

And, discovered a nasty habit of leaving my hand on the mouse while I think. Now I'm picking up my hands and flexing.

It is actually feeling better. Again THANK YOU all.

Annamarie

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
Http://www.iddtechsolutions.com