Re: RE: Knowledge Management

Subject: Re: RE: Knowledge Management
From: "Laura Winkelspecht" <lwinkels -at- shopko -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:22:18 -0600

>From what I understand, knowledge management is a business's attempt to gather and disseminate knowledge throughout the business. It's kind of trying to forestall the problems caused when SME gets hit by a truck and no one knows what said SME knows. It is also supposed to help when dept A starts a project and doesn't know that dept B just finished a project that would save them six months of work.

A lot of times it involves replacing Internet Explorer as the primary method of retrieving documents with a document management system that includes search functions, project management, and version control.

That's kind of a half-baked layman's version, and I am sure there is much more to it than that. There are some good resources on the Net, including CIO.com.

Hope that helps.
Laura Winkelspecht
Technical Writer,
ShopKo Stores, Inc.