RE: Ban the Semicolon?

Subject: RE: Ban the Semicolon?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:48:44 -0500

The demise of the semicolon, at least in technical documentation, has been
prematurely reported. It is alive and well in all C programs, among other
places, so it lives on in our documentation examples.

I have personally enjoyed the role of the semicolon, particularly its role
in the genesis of the question mark, but that's another story.

If Orwell went through a "period" of not using semicolons, it may have been
about the same time that he slipped into a comma.

The relevance to tech pubs is not only the semicolon's use in examples, but
also its use as a specialized tool in our tech writing toolkit. Sure, there
are other ways, but isn't it nice to have the right tool when the occasion
demands it?

See and check it out.